Monday, June 7, 2010

Banana and Chocolate Chip Cake W/ Cream Cheese Filling

I first had a piece of this cake at the Longwood Gardens near Philadelphia and while attending an ASLA conference. Upon arriving home from the airport I had to find a cake recipe and modified it to be as close as could be to the cake I ate at the garden facility. Here is what I found and it is a close second.

It takes little time to mix and bake, but putting the layers together does take some time. I refer to it as QUALITY TIME, and it's worth it! I served it for "Cake bread Monday" and the office voted it one of the best. Once you have a piece of this cake, it will become a reapter to prepare and serve for many occasions to come!

Ingredients;
2 C flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 banana
1/2 C buttermilk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
8 Tlb. unsalted butter, softened
1 C light brown sugar
2 egg
1 C semisweet chocolate chips
1 C favorite nuts (optional)

Filling:
24 oz. cream cheese filling (softened)
6 Tbl. powdered sugar
1 1/2 tsp. banana extract

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare two 8" diameter cake pans.

1. Sift flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon in a bowl and set aside.
2. Mash banana and mix with buttermilk and vanilla and set aside.
3. In an electric mixer cream butter and sugar, beat in eggs.
4. Add wet and dry ingredients alternatively until all mixed.
5. Fold in chocolate chips and nuts (see note above.)
6. Pour into the cake mold and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, or until done.
7. Let cakes cool on rack for 10 to 20 minutes.
8. Place cakes in freezer for 30 minutes and cut into 4 separate cakes for layering.
9. Prepare cream cheese filling by mixing one - 8 oz. package of cream cheese with two Tbl. powdered sugar and 1 1/2 tsp. extract per layer and place between layers.
10. Cover with chocolate frosting or cream cheese frosting.
11. Refrigerate and serve.

1 comment:

  1. Bruce,
    Thanks for bringing Suzy and I each a piece to try. I wasn't going to eat mine because although it looked WONDERFULLY DELICIOUS, I am trying to eat healthy... HOWEVER tonight when I got home from work I was talking to my other sister Connie and I guess I started "not making sense" and Connie can always tell when my blood-glucose level is low so she asked me if I was low and made me go test and I was very low. So... THIS CAKE SAVED ME! ha ha I had to eat something quick to bring my blood-glucose level up. (I'm sure you know all about this since your son has diabetes also) anyways I took advantage of your yummalicious cake! So... double thanks! Lisa

    ReplyDelete