Monday, January 25, 2010

Procrastinatin' Drunken Monkey Banana Bread

This recipe turned out to be an adventure for me. It requires dark rum and flaming the alcohol out of the rum. I went to the local grocery store to buy dark rum and learned that it is only available up the street at the state liquor store. Then burning the alcohol from the rum, which is added to the dried cherries, let me know what those little blue flames look like in real life and how long these last before disappearing. The recipe was correct timewise in its projections. However, it did not warn me that the smoke detector would be going off in my place as part of the burning process. That was ALARMING!

I had to bake the bread an extra 30 minutes at the mountain elevation of 6980 feet above sea level. The bread was moist and the dried cherries give it lots of positive "curb appeal" as we use the term in landscape design. Many who tried a piece of the bread were taken back by the dark cherries, but warmed up to the idea of liking the recipe once they got a taste of the incredible flavor. I'll keep this drunken "monkey on my back" any time.

No comments:

Post a Comment