Monday, January 18, 2010

Key Lime Cake

I couldn't wait to make this one since I love Key Lime anything! I felt fortunate that there were actual key limes available this weekend in the store. I made the decision to double the recipe and go for the 10" round version. As the recipe indicated the baking may take twice as long. It was right. However, in my efforts to add foil to the baking pan to keep the top of the cake from browning I closed the oven door too quickly and the cake fell. Ouch! I was determined to rise above this moment of defeat. So, I got ambitious and over indulgent and made a second mix of batter and cooked up two 8" square pans of cakes. I really wanted to know if it baked any differently from the round pan. So, I ended up with lots of cake to say the least. The glaze was too liquidity in my opinion. So I kept adding more and more powdered sugar until it appeared thicker like on the Food Channel. Just a visual thing for me.

Before serving I top dressed the cake glaze with powdered sugar. It gives the crystallized glaze a little softer appearance. I kept some of the glaze in a small plastic container and drizzled it over the cake before serving. I was going for all the key lime tart flavor I could get in one bite. I served the square cakes to the office staff and shared the round cake to all my neighbors. A "win win" situation for everyone. Look at all the people I made happy on this one! Key lime pie has found its competition!

No comments:

Post a Comment