Monday, January 11, 2010

Missy G's Sweet Potato Pound Cake

This cake was a complete success and a favorite so far. I first bought red sweet potato's in the store and then before leaving traded these in for yams because the clerk told me that the cake would be sweeter in taste with the later. I'm glad I did and she was right. I doubled the amount of Granny Smith apples because I wanted more of a tart flavor to the cake. I'm pleased I did and it worked. I had lots of mashed yams and diced apples left over so I kept them aside. Later, I added some brown sugar and butter to these two items and ate them as a side dish to an entree I had prepared for dinner. Nothing was wasted. So, if you do not want left overs from the recipe, go light on the yams and apples prepared.

Everyone raved about the moist texture in this cake and I liked the overall amber color. This is a plus in my opinion for this recipe. The crumble brown sugar and pecan topping was so delicious, but made the cake difficult to cut into pieces with nuts being in the way of perfect slicing. However, this little drawback would not keep me from making this cake time and time again. Thanks "Missy G," whoever you are!

No comments:

Post a Comment