Monday, March 22, 2010

Mary Carole Battle's Mother's Wacky Cake

The history of this cake was fascinating. It was created during WWII when dairy products were scarce and was an answer to wartime desperate homemakers. This recipe involves no butter, no eggs, and no milk. The books says that the Seven-Minute Frosting takes more time to make than the cake itself. I would concur.

The frosting turned out wonderful and successful. I feel that I could make a Seven-Minute Frosting now at the "drop of a hat." The key is adding cream of tartar to the mix so the granular sugar crystals cannot "reconnect" and turn the frosting back to sugar. I also have discovered that White Karo Syrup will keep the frosting from doing the same. A great chemical discovery thanks to the inter-net.

The cake is simple. The frosting is complicated to make according to my colleagues. However, the two opposites combined were enjoyable from all the comments in the office.

No comments:

Post a Comment