Monday, February 22, 2010

Dorie Greenspan's Swedish Visiting Cake

You do not need a mixer for this recipe, but just a good sturdy wooden spoon and a strong arm for stirring. Many commented in the office that this tasted like a cake brownie. To me it looked like a blondie cake brownie. I added several extra tablespoons of orange zest to the lemon zest in the batter. As a result it had a wonderful "tutty-frutty" flavor. The slivered almonds on top with a dash of sugar made for a sweet taste too.

Rather than baking it in an 8" round cake pan as suggested by the book, I chose to bake it in indvidual 2" square cakes (12 per pan.) I bought the pan at Target. It was an interesting and clever way to serve this item to my co-workers without having to cut into the cake. You're suppose to be able to mix this cake and have it ready for serving before your visitors get from the road to the front door. It has to be a bit of longer walk in this case than slowly strolling along my short front sidewalk.

No comments:

Post a Comment