Sunday, August 15, 2010

Triple Chocolate Orange Passion Cake

I baked this cake batter in my convection micro-wave. The cake layers did not rise very much. So, I made the effort to increase the height of the cake by putting a layer of whipping cream between the lower cake layer, frosting layer and the upper cake layer. My mother use to do this to create a chocolate layered cake and it was always a requested cake by family members for birthday celebrations.

When I took the cake with the whipping cream layer out of the refrigerator to frost the cake the whip cream softened to the point that the cake slipped apart. I guess the kitchen temperature was too warm. So, I placed it in the freezer for a while, but later discovered that whipping cream does not freeze well. I proceeded to frost the cake anyway and chalk it up as a great learning experience.

The cake batter has orange juice and orange zest. The frosting has orange extract. Thus the name "Passion Orange." I think I put too much orange extract in the frosting because it tasted like one of those solid orange flavored chocolates that are available in stores around Christmas time. It was rich in orange flavor. Too rich!

Since I was disappointed in the cake overall, I decided to put ready-made ice cream syrup on the cake to fix it up. Well, the next morning as I took it out of the refrigerator the syrup had separated into puddles of chocolate liquid and water. It did not look appetizing. I wiped the sides of the cake dish dry and served it to the office staff. Boy, I learned allot of "do nots" on this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment